Hand Pulse Grips
Your EU150 hybrid elliptical has built-in hand pulse grips located on the handles found either side of the console. To monitor your heart rate, simply grasp both hand pulse grips ensuring steady contact is made between your hands and the metal contact pads for at least 10 seconds. Once the machine has detected your pulse, the heart rate will be display in the “Pulse” section on your screen.
Using the Pulse Display
The pulse (heart rate) readout will display your current heart rate in beats per minute during your workout. Pulse value displays anytime the display is receiving a pulse signal.
Heart Rate Control Programs
Program 18 to Program 22 are the Heart Rate Control programs. Program 22 is the Target Heart Rate Control program.
- Program 18 is the 55% Max H.R.C. - - Target H.R. = (220 – AGE) x 55%
- Program 19 is the 65% Max H.R.C. - - Target H.R. = (220 – AGE) x 65%
- Program 20 is the 75% Max H.R.C. - - Target H.R. = (220 – AGE) x 75%
- Program 21 is the 85% Max H.R.C. - - Target H.R. = (220 – AGE) x 85%
Users can exercise according to your desired Heart Rate program by setting their age, time, distance, calories, or target pulse. In these programs, the computer will adjust the resistance level according to the heart rate detected. For example, the resistance level may increase every 20 seconds while the heart rate detected is lower than the target heart rate in order to increase the user's pulse. Conversely, the resistance level may decrease every 20 seconds while the heart rate detected is higher than the target heart rate in order to reduce the user's pulse.
To use a heart rate program:
- Use the UP/DOWN keys to cycle through the available programs and then press the ENTER key to select one of the heart rate control programs (P18-P22).
- AGE will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set your AGE. The default age is 35. Note: If you have selected P22, TARGET PULSE will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set your target pulse between 80 to 180. The default target pulse is 120.
- TIME will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set your exercise time. Press the ENTER key to confirm your desired time
- DISTANCE will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set your target distance. Press the ENTER key to confirm your desired distance.
- CALORIES will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set your target exercise calories. Press the ENTER key to confirm your desired calories.
- Press the START/STOP key to begin your workout.
Pulse Recovery Program
- Following your workout, press the PULSE RECOVERY key and hold onto the pulse hand grips.
- The time clock will display “0:60” (sixty seconds) and count down.
- After the countdown, the computer will show the results of your heart rate recovery status with values F1-F6.
Calculating Your Target Heart Rate
To determine the target heart rate zone in which you wish to train, you must first determine your predicted maximum heart rate. After determining your predicted maximum heart rate, you must determine the effective heart rate range for your specific cardiovascular goals. Your target heart rate training zone is 50% to 90% of your maximum heart rate. 60% of your maximum heart rate is the zone that burns fat, while 80% is for strengthening the cardiovascular system. This 60% to 80% range is the zone to stay in for maximum benefit.
Your target training zone heart rate can be calculated by using the following formula:
220 - (your age) = maximum heart rate
(maximum heart rate) x .6 = 60% of maximum heartbeats per minute
(maximum heart rate) x .8 = 80% of maximum heartbeats per minute
For someone who is 40 years old, their predicted target heart rate zone is calculated as follows:
220 – 40 = 180 (maximum heart rate)
180 x .6 = 108 beats per minute (60% of maximum)
180 X .8 = 144 beats per minute (80% of maximum)
Heart Rate and the Rate of Perceived Exertion
The Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), also known as the Borg Scale, was developed by Swedish physiologist G.A.V. Borg. This scale rates exercise intensity from 6 to 20 depending upon how you feel or the perception of your effort.
In addition to monitoring your heart rate to understand your target training zone, listening to your body during workouts also has a lot of advantages. There are more variables involved in how hard you should workout other than just heart rate. Your stress level, physical health, emotional health, temperature, humidity, the time of day, the last time you ate, and what you ate all contribute to the intensity at which you should workout.
You can get an approximate heart rate level for each rating by simply adding a zero to each rating. For example, a rating of 12 will result in an approximate heart rate of 120 beats per minute. Your RPE will vary depending on stress, temperature, diet, etc. If your body is strong and rested, you will feel strong and your pace will feel comfortable. When your body is in this condition, you are able to train harder and your RPE will support this. If you are feeling tired and sluggish, it is because your body needs a break. In this condition, your pace will feel difficult. Again, this will show up in your RPE and you will train at the proper level for that day.
Using the Body Fat Program
Program 23 is a special program designed to calculate users’ body fat ratio. There are 3 body type ranges according to the body fat percentage calculated:
- Type 1: BODY FAT% > 27
- Type 2: 27 ≥ BODY FAT% ≥ 20
- Type3: BODY FAT % < 20
To begin the body fat measurement:
- Use the UP/DOWN keys to cycle through the available programs, then press the ENTER key to select the BODY FAT (P23) program.
- HEIGHT will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set the user height. Press the ENTER key to confirm your height. The default height is 170cm or 5’07” (5 feet 7 inches).
- WEIGHT will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set the user weight. Press the ENTER key to confirm your weight. The default WEIGHT is 70kgs or 155 lbs.
- GENDER will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to select your sex. Number 1 means male and 0 means female. Press the ENTER key to confirm your sex. The default sex is set as 1 (male).
- AGE will flash. Press the UP or DOWN keys to set the user age. Press the ENTER key to confirm your age. The default age is 35.
- Press the START/STOP key to begin body fat measurement. If the window shows “E” on the window, please make sure your hands are holding the grips well or that the chest belt is touching your body properly. Then press the START/STOP key again to begin body fat measurement.
- After finishing your measurement, the computer will show the values of FAT PERCENT on the LCD display.
- Press the START/STOP key to begin exercise.